For the fullest restoration of your smile, consider the value of dental implants from your Simi Valley dentist.
Tooth loss can be devastating, especially if you need to replace several - or all - of your teeth. Until recently, the common forms of tooth replacement have achieved temporary function. In many cases, aesthetic value has also been limited. This is not the case with dental implants.
What are dental implants?
Dental implants are not replacement teeth. These tiny structures are intended as a foundation to a lifelike artificial tooth such as a crown. Implants look like tiny metal posts. Their titanium construction lends strength and biocompatibility through which the bone that surrounds the implant readily attaches. This is referred to as osseointegration. Through this process, each implant becomes firmly encased in the jawbone, just as natural roots had been.
This method of tooth replacement is suitable for a large number of patients. Because the intent is to recreate the natural sub-structure of the jaw with artificial roots, dental implant treatment is appropriate for single-tooth replacement, multiple-tooth replacement, and even for full mouth restoration.
What to Expect from Dental Implants?
Because a minor oral surgery is needed to insert the small titanium cylinders into the jaw, there may be a perception that dental implant treatment is complex or painful. Neither is an accurate depiction of the process.
- A thorough consultation and exam is conducted to determine if you are a good candidate for dental implants.
- X-rays may be taken to facilitate the planning of implant placement.
- To begin surgery, local anesthetic is used to numb the surgical site. You may also receive calming nitrous oxide to facilitate the most pleasant experience.
- The appropriate number of implants is strategically inserted into the proper location in the jaw.
- An abutment, or connective piece, is attached to the uppermost part of each implant. Only the abutment is visible above the gum line.
- As needed, gum tissue is stitched around each abutment.
- Temporary restorations may be immediately affixed to implant abutments.
- Healing occurs over several months, as bone grows around implant posts. This is not an uncomfortable recovery!
- Stabilized implants can hold a crown, bridge, or full denture.
The Advantages of Dental Implants
There are several advantages to dental implant treatment, including highly functional teeth and a natural-looking and feeling smile. To learn more about your tooth replacement options, contact Dental Center of Simi Valley at (805) 579-0600. It could be the best thing you do for your smile!
Related Articles about Dental Implants